cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgkenned
Level 4

Unwanted dialog box prompting to stop the print spooler service

I have an basic MSI project that installs several different software pieces including a winforms app, sys tray app, explorer shell extension and a printer redirector (using redmon). The installation performs as expected. All pieces install correctly including the shell ext which is implemented as a COM dll and the printer which is installed using custom actions. The printer is installed in 2 parts (2 custom actions). Part1 installs a postscript driver using rundll32 printui.dll. Part2 is a C program that handles the installation of the monitor, port and printer. This works. During the uninstall process I am prompted to shutdown the explorer and the print spooler service. Neither is necessary for the uninstall. If I say don't shutdown the uninstall proceeds and works. If I say answer yes to shutdown these, the uninstall fails. I believe this is due to the fact I am relying on rundll32 printui.dll to handle the removal of the printer components during the uninstall. If the print spooler service is down (or hasn't restarted yet), the rundll32 printui.dll will not work. This will be a problem for end users who will not know how to answer the shutdown question. I'm trying to understand what triggers installshield to ask about shutting down the print spooler. I would rather not be pestered about this during the uninstall. I would like it to default to "DONOT" shut down services or explorer.

NOTE: all my custom actions that use the "rundll32 printui.dll" approach are inside command files (.cmd). I have tested each individual piece manually from the windows command prompt. This MSI is specific to windows 7 x86. I am running the MSI under that administrator account.

thanks for any help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

If you are referring to FileInUse dialog which prompts to shutdown the process then this can help
0 Kudos
jgkenned
Level 4

0 Kudos