cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retzcat
Level 6

Uninstall previous versions

What do all the other users on here find to be the most reliable and easiest way to find previous installs of your app and then remove them if need be?
Our tried and true way is now not working and I'm stumped without a complete rewrite - which we haven't time for.... :eek:

Thanks!
Sue
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

What's the nature of the product. Basic MSI or InstallScript?
For Basic Msi, you need to figure out upgrade code and product code guids of all the previous prods that you want to un-install.
Use upgrade view of you project to create major upgrade entry and put all the collected codes in there..

For more help look for help on "Major Upgrade"
0 Kudos
retzcat
Level 6

It's pure installscript
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

Most robust way for you would be to look for "Project GUID", which is always unique , if found then you could run your latest build Setup.exe and supply Project GUID of previous app as an argument, i am sure you also need to supply a switch like /U .

Second option would be, if you old installation leave some sort of registry key behind then you could use the value of that reg key to detect application then use \U switch to uninstall previous app. I do this all the time, however I always utilize Installscrip/MSI project...(which obviously gives me good of both world)

HTH
0 Kudos