cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dany
Level 2

Uninstall does not try to remove service when component is not in root [INSTALLDIR]

Hello all,

My installer (basic MSI) installs a windows service. It's implemented in a component (Shared=No, Permanent = No).
If this component resides in the [INSTALLDIR] - when I remove the service it's stopped and removed.
(I defined the control Events for install/stop/remove)

When I move the component file to a different dir (sub-directory of INSTALLDIR) the uninstall/stop will not work.
Installshield doesn't even try to do it - it just ignores removal altogether. I tried to remove and create the compoennt
from scratch and it didn't help either. I'm clueless...

Please help!
Dany
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
dany
Level 2

I kept on checking and it's clear that If I move the service file to the [INSTALLDIR] (out of the subdirectory) it will uninstall just fine.
I need to have it in a subdirectory so I need to understand why it won't work when I move it back to [INSTALLDIR]\subdirectory

Thanks!

dany@sec.do wrote:
Hello all,

My installer (basic MSI) installs a windows service. It's implemented in a component (Shared=No, Permanent = No).
If this component resides in the [INSTALLDIR] - when I remove the service it's stopped and removed.
(I defined the control Events for install/stop/remove)

When I move the component file to a different dir (sub-directory of INSTALLDIR) the uninstall/stop will not work.
Installshield doesn't even try to do it - it just ignores removal altogether. I tried to remove and create the compoennt
from scratch and it didn't help either. I'm clueless...

Please help!
Dany
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I am not sure if this is the issue, but could it be a permissions issue where the sub folder does not have appropriate rights and the parent folder does?

Another idea is the sub directory, is it a value that is somehow derived during the first install but could be lost during the uninstall? I highly doubt this is the issue because most of the time our sub directories derive directly from [INSTALLDIR].
0 Kudos
chengwei
Level 2

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. May I know if there is any solution to it now? Thanks!
0 Kudos