cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annetteqa
Level 4

Uninstall after patch

I am desperate for help - hoping someone out there can get me through this.

I am new to InstallShield. I have the .ism files from our previous employee to work off of. He was on InstallShield 12 - I am upgraded to 2009.

When I run his original full install (using v12), then run my patch (using 2009), I can uninstall without a problem.

When I run my product install - I can uninstall without a problem.

If I run my full install, then install the patch over it, I can no longer uninstall. The install attempts to run as a new install rather than maintenance, and then tells me the GUID already exists in the registry.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong???
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

Welcome to the forums Annetteqa. Unfortunately I do not have a quick answer for you only a few more questions.

1. What type of setup is this? Is it a Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, or pure Installscript installation?
2. If it is a Basic MSI have you tried enabling logging - if so do you mind posting alog file for us to examine?
To enable logging in the registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Logging"="voicewarmup"
3. Does the method of uninstall make a difference here? For example if you uninstall using Setup.exe is the behavior any different from Add/Remove programs?

My guess is that you have a pure InstallScript install and that something is causing it to choose the wrong install path in this one scenario. However, that is only a guess.
0 Kudos
annetteqa
Level 4

Not sure what happened - although I did clean out my registry when I couldn't uninstall so maybe that cleaned something out correctly - but my results have changed somewhat.

I am using an InstallScript MSI.

When I try to uinstall using the setup.exe the application uninstalls as it should.

When I try to uninstall from Add/Remove programs the patch install attempts to re-run.
0 Kudos