cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Uninstall a previous version and install a new one?

Hi all,

My system has a particular version of a product installed. and i when i run the next version of the setup.exe file, the installer should check for any previous version installed, and ask the user if he wants to overwrite the installation with the latest one. If yes, it should remove the previous installation and proceed with installing the current version.

I am able to remove the previously installed product, but i am unable to continue with running the current version of setup.exe.

I have created a new dialog, that has the option of overwriting the existing installation, but when i run the setup.exe, the installer uninstalls the previous version and the screen "Installation completed" appears. It is not allowing me to install the newer version.

Any help on this greatly appreciated.

raj_ksrt.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If it's an MSI project, a "major upgrade" should do the trick. It doesn't automatically prompt the user, but the uninstall-old-then-install-new behavior should do it.
0 Kudos
virtualbry
Level 4

raj_ksrt wrote:
Hi all,

My system has a particular version of a product installed. and i when i run the next version of the setup.exe file, the installer should check for any previous version installed, and ask the user if he wants to overwrite the installation with the latest one. If yes, it should remove the previous installation and proceed with installing the current version.

I am able to remove the previously installed product, but i am unable to continue with running the current version of setup.exe.

I have created a new dialog, that has the option of overwriting the existing installation, but when i run the setup.exe, the installer uninstalls the previous version and the screen "Installation completed" appears. It is not allowing me to install the newer version.

Any help on this greatly appreciated.

raj_ksrt.

General steps:
1) Change the version number,
2) Change the Product Code GUID (leave the Upgrade GUID alone), and
3) Make sure you have an Major or Automatic Upgrade Type configured in the Upgrade view.

If everything is done right, you won't *have* to do any custom dialog work to make this happen.

For more help, search the help file for "major upgrade" as Robert suggested.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

And perhaps see this newsletter tip for information about detecting a major upgrade (PDF): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/nl_article_DEV_MajorUpgradeUI.pdf.
0 Kudos