cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BingMa
Level 4

Uninstall SQL Server 2005 Express

Hi,

I am working on a Basic MSI project. I added a custom action to uninstall SQL Server 2005 Express during uninstallation. I tried to use the UninstallApplication method to uninstall SQL Server 2005 Express and LaunchAppAndWait method to execute the uninstall string for SQL Server 2005 Express. In both ways I used LAAW_OPTION_WAIT as a parameter. And in both ways I got the same error message during the uninstallation of SQL Server 2005 Express:

"failed to grab the execution mutex; system error 258".

Is there anyone can tell me how I can solve this problem?

Thank you,

Bing
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
TheTraveler
Level 8

Did you look at the Uninstall Registry Entry for Uninstalling SQL Server 2005 Express to make sure you are using the correct command line arguments? If they don't match, it might give you a clue as to what might be happening.
0 Kudos
BingMa
Level 4

Yes, I get the uninstall string from registry with the RegDBGetKeyValueEx method, it is like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\ARPWrapper.exe"/Remove

I think it should be correct.
0 Kudos
ICE999
Level 5

To uninstall i think you will have to do it MSI per MSI, the sqlexpress wrapper contains 5 MSI's (depends on the options choosen on install).

If you do it manually (add/remove programs), you will see a message that certain services have to be stopped first, and then a message that the server has dependencies that need to be uninstalled first.

So my advice is do it manually on a test machine, see in what order the different MSI's need to be uninstalled and then add the steps in your uninstall sequence.
0 Kudos
BingMa
Level 4

Thank you for your reply, I will check it as you have said.

Bing
0 Kudos