cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epotter
Level 5

Convert or Rewrite

I am brand new to installshield. I have been given a task to update an installer for one of our legacy products. The original installer was created with InstallShield 4. I have just installed InstallSheild 2008. When I open the old .ipr file, the project gets converted to the latest version, but when I try and build I get a slew of undefined identifier errors. I understand that this is because there was a paradigm shift around Installshield 6 where many things that had been defined in scripts where now defined in the GUI.

My question is this. Is it worth it to try and convert and old old project to a new one, or should I start from scratch? If I try and convert the old project, what kinds of issues am I going to run into?

Thanks in advance

Eric
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Complete rewrite. Even if it can be `converted`, the old project is very likely to go about just everything the `wrong` ( old school ) way.
0 Kudos
epotter
Level 5

Thanks for the tip.

What are the major differences between the 'old way' and how it should be done now?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

In a nutshell, procedural vs declarative.

In the IS3 days I remember compressing/compiling and figuring out what which files would fit best on which floppies and then writing boat loads of script to decompres the file, copy the file, update the progress bar and repeat. InstallShield 5 came along and suddenly you had filegroups and MoveData and then MSI came along and suddenly you didn't have to worry about any of the script... you just declared the features, components, directories and files and let MSI take care of the rest ( generally ) for you.

If you choose to say pure InstallShield, you still write script but much of your script can be deleted in favor of built-in IS framework capabilities.
0 Kudos