cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ismisyahiran
Level 2

Unable to uninstall other MSI application while uninstalling main app.

Hi,

I'm having a problem where I have Application A, when I go to control panel and select to uninstall Application A. I want the uninstallation process to uninstall Application B and C too.

I tried using the UninstallApplication() method but seems like it is not working. I also tried to execute LaunchAppAndWait() method also failed.

I'm using installshield 2019.

Below is what I did in custom actions. Note that, the GUID is dummy.

LaunchAppAndWait("msiexec.exe", " /x {8D980DC9-2345-402F-A6A3-B5D0312345D5} /qn", LAAW_OPTION_WAIT | LAAW_OPTION_HIDDEN);

and I also tried below

UninstallApplication ("{8D980DC9-2345-402F-A6A3-B5D0312345D5}","/qn",WAIT | LAAW_OPTION_SHOW_HOURGLASS);

In addition, I also tried to create a simple C# program compile to uninstall_dummy.exe and run it within the execution steps, it shows that the "msiexec.exe is being used by another process". I also tried uninstall it using powershell script(.ps1 file), got the same message "msiexec.exe is being used by another process".

I'm not sure where did I do wrong. I also check the execution condition set to --> REMOVE="ALL"

Please advise. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ismisyahiran
Level 2

Updates.

I notices there is this process when start to perform the uninstallation of Application A.
"C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V"

When I killed this process, I'm able to uninstall the Application B and C. But when it continue it got error like in the image.

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

I think the issue you are coming up against here is a limitation with Windows Installer (msiexec.exe) as its not possible to run 2 (or more) execute sequences at the same time.

Installshield does have suite projects where a single setup.exe controls the delivery and removal of multiple packages - .msi's or other setup.exe.
This means when the customer uninstalls the suite installer from the control panel, all of its packages will be uninstalled.

This may better suit what you are trying to achieve.

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield/helplibrary/SteCreatingSuites.htm

0 Kudos