cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoelRaj
Level 3

Unable to install files to 'Windows\System32' folder, in a 64 bit environment

Hi,

I am creating a generic installation package using IS 2008 express. I specified the INSTALLDIR as [WindowsFolder]System32, as per my requirement. When I run the exe in a 64 bit OS, the files always get copied onto the 'Windows\sysWOW64' folder. Is there any way to force the installer to install onto the Windows\System32 folder ? almost I tried all options, still no hope.

Note:

1. The installation package was created in a 32 bit OS, and it is working perfectly in a 32 bit OS

2. The target m/c is a Windows 2003 server

3. Options tried so far in the INSTALLDIR field, a) [SystemFolder] b) [WindowsFolder]System32, c) [System64Folder]

Please help.

Thanks,

Raj
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Not applicable

The folder it's installing to is the 32-bit System32 folder. Since 32-bit applications are redirected to specific portions of the system for compatibility purposes, you will in all liklihood want your fiile installed there.
0 Kudos
JoelRaj
Level 3

Got it. Thanks Bryan
0 Kudos
Johan007
Level 3

But if you really want the file to be installed under "System32" and not "SysWow64", because the file is a 64-bit file.

Is there any way of achieving that using InstallShield Express?

Is InstallShield Express ready for 64-bit installations or not? Does anyone know?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

0 Kudos