cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techie
Level 2

UAC prompt every time I start InstallShield

Hi,

Just installed IS2013 Premier and I get a UAC prompt when running the software. Why is this? The user I am logged in as is an admin on the computer, but the end user will have standard user rights and therefore won't be able to run the software as he won't be able to provide an admin login.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Roman1
Level 9

IS2013 starts as Administrator.
0 Kudos
Techie
Level 2

Roman1 wrote:
IS2013 starts as Administrator.

How do I start it as non-admin? I've found a Help section which lists the functionality which disappears if you run it non-admin, but not how to do it.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Not possible.
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Roman1 wrote:
Not possible.

There are ways, actually. But the better question is why do you need to?

Development tools generally require Admin rights to do what they need to do--InstallShield is similar in this regard, but I've been assured if you use one of the several ways to make it run non-elevated that it should "mostly work". However, it sounds like you are confusing the fact that the tool needs Admin rights with the idea that the tool's output will require Admin rights.

To be clear, projects built by InstallShield are configurable to not require Admin rights. If you test using the 'Test' button of InstallShield, yes, the install will run elevated. However, you should not be doing anything but the most quick-and-dirty of testing on your development machine in any case.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos