Did you mean: 
Spinky106
Level 5

Two problem on Vista installation

Hello

I have two problem with my Basic MSI Project on vista. With Xp it's all good
I have already set Vista and XP in the Installation Requirements

Problem 1.
I have custon action launch other setup.exe during my install. On xp it's ok.
But on vista i have already a error message. Error 1721 : There is a problem with this Windows Installer package, A program required for this install to complete could not be run

Problem 2.
My setup search a configfile with text in the SETUPEXEDIR
But when i uninstall my install with one clic on my setup. The welcome maintenance launch correctly. But the uninstall not launch in My SETUPEXEDIR because he not localize my configfile

The two problem come into vista.
On XP i have not this problem

Can you help me please

Spinky

Sorry for my english 😄
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Spinky106
Level 5

Up
Up
Up
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A 1721 error indicates that the Windows Installer was unable to successfully launch an executable custom action. Since you're launching another setup, it likely requires admin privileges and CreateProcess is returning status ERROR_ELEVATION_REQUIRED to Windows Installer. You could run the parent setup as admin, or use a different type of custom action to launch the executable (for example, use an InstallScript custom action and use the LaunchApplication function to launch the EXE).

I'm not sure I understand what your issue is with SETUPEXEDIR. This property is only available if you launch your installation from a setup.exe. When uninstalling or running maintenance from Add/Remove Programs, the MSI package is launched directly.
0 Kudos
vijaychaudhari
Level 2

ANy installation and uninstallation on vista should be by running cmd in administrator mode.this can be done by ran as to cmd.exe.then install any application from this admin command prompt.when done whole installation along with any custom action runs in one shell(admin shell).but when ran through normal cmd,custom action thread does not run with admin rights and fails.
0 Kudos
BernardC
Level 4

Hi,

Is the set up you are trying to launch through custom action, also a .msi ?

If yes, you could get error message from WI because launching more than one .msi installers in the same time is bad :-). In this cas you could deal with this, launching your embedded set up as a prerequisite .

Bernard.
0 Kudos
Spinky106
Level 5

no i will launch a .exe file with my custom action.

My main setup launch a custom action include a other setup.exe file.
On xp It s ok but on Vista i have the error.

I go to see in the admin priviledge

I am keeping abreast, but if someone has another idea you are welcome
0 Kudos
Spinky106
Level 5

OK I find nothing

I rephrase my question differently

How can i launch a secondary setup on my main setup on vista.

For Xp just create custom action --> New Exe with the filename and working directory
But for vista is not ok

I think the UAC is the problem. Can you explain how bypass this

Spinky
0 Kudos
epoon6
Level 2

In terms of getting through UAC if you go to the media view > releases, then to whichever one you use to put out your installer. Under the Setup.exe tab if you set the "Required Execution Level" to "Highest Available" then rebuild this may solve your problem.
0 Kudos
Spinky106
Level 5

It's ok

Thanks a lot Epoon

Closed
0 Kudos