cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikegillow
Level 5

Trying to use new Text File Changes View

I have managed to get my InstallScript MSI project to simply 'quit' part way through due to a possible bug in (or misuse of) the new Text File Changes View functionality.
I have an INI file that comes to me from the component developer that needs to have a path to another file 'corrected' based on INSTALLDIR. The original line looks something like this:
param01=...somestuff..C:\Work Space\Folder1\Folder2\dist\filename.ext
which is what I set up the search field to be
if I set up the replace to be:
param01=...somestuff..[INSTALLDIR]Folder1\Folder2\dist\filename.ext
everything was OK - but the actual destination path didn't have the '\dist' folder, so I needed to fix that.
When I changed the replace to:
param01=...somestuff..[INSTALLDIR]Folder1\Folder2\filename.ext
things went haywire. As far as I can tell, the custom action call for the replace simply bombs out and the install simply quits. No rollback, no error message - it just simply terminates.
I have worked around my issue for now by manually fixing the INI file before consuming it. Changing the ini line to:
param01=...somestuff..ROOTINSTALLfilename.ext
and setting the search to be:
ROOTINSTALL
and setting the replace to be:
[MYINIFOLDER]

I probably wasn't using the new feature as it was intended, but having it silently terminate after a partial install because I fed it something unintended isn't cool.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Did you apply this InstallShield 2010 SP1 hotfix posted in this thread?
0 Kudos
mikegillow
Level 5

Thanks - I had not. (Not sure why I didn't find that thread when I was looking before posting my original message - I have the worst luck when it comes to using forum search engines.)
That thread appears to describe my exact issue. If I don't follow up on this post, you can assume the hotfix took care of my issue.
0 Kudos