cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sairen
Level 7

Transforms or Otherwise - a brain teaser

I was posed this one from one of our IT staff today, and I thought I'd try to pick the collective hive mind...

Basically they want to modify an existing MSI by substituting the XML file that's build into the kit with their own new XML file. All they have is the MSI (compressed) and the new XML file, and obviously they can get the source files by running the installation.
Can this be done?

I tried tinkering at first with Direct Edit mode, but that didn't seem to have enough information. Then I thought of using transforms, but I haven't tinkered enough with those to know what can and cannot be done - yet.

So what say you Experts Who Know Things?

Thanks SO much for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Have you considered building an administrative install and then replacing the extracted file with the one you want?

Otherwise rebuilding cabs/streams without breaking everything is a pain. It would be easier to drop the existing component out of the FeatureComponents table and replacing it with a new component. The easiest way to do that would probably be to make a merge module with the new file and then use MergeMod to merge it into your existing MSI.
0 Kudos