cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Steve_
Level 2

This patch package could not be opened

I am attempting to create a patch for our installer using Patch Design. I created it, but when I test the patch it unpacks and then I get the attached error:

'This patch package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Install patch package.'

:confused:
How can I get it to upgrade my installed program?
Has anyone run into anything like this before?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hoferat87
Level 3

I have the same problem on a customer PC, I am not able to reproduce the same error on my side. The software was upgraded to a newer version then uninstalled and the originally installed version was installed again. Thereafter this error appears when attempting to patch. Patching normally works though. All i've found is this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295823/EN-US/

I would like to avoid using this method to fix the problem though and find the actuall cause.

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

@Steve: Does the error occur on multiple different systems, or just a single system?
0 Kudos
_Steve_
Level 2

Oh no, this happens on multiple systems for me.

I have been working with InstallShield tech support for over a month and so far we still do not have a solution.
0 Kudos
regexmaster
Level 5

Are you able to create MSI logs, or do things not even get to the point where they would be useful?

Does the patch work on some machines, but not others?
0 Kudos