cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilgale
Level 2

Third party software precondition

My installer shall check if a third party software is already installed as precondition before installing my application (the third party software is not a standard application as Adobe Reader, Office Internet Explorer and so on).

The installer shall execute the following operations:
- install the third party software if it is not present
- update the third party software if it is present be not updated (an old version is installed).

The third party software installation package shall be contained by my installer.

Is there a way to satisfy above requirements with InstallShield 2018 ?

BR
Cristiano
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

ilgale wrote:
My installer shall check if a third party software is already installed as precondition before installing my application (the third party software is not a standard application as Adobe Reader, Office Internet Explorer and so on).

The installer shall execute the following operations:
- install the third party software if it is not present
- update the third party software if it is present be not updated (an old version is installed).

The third party software installation package shall be contained by my installer.

Is there a way to satisfy above requirements with InstallShield 2018 ?

BR
Cristiano

Hi ilgale,

Above requirements can be sorted out using Suite Project type of installshield.Where you can add msi/exe/msp/ism etc setup types as packages.Please refer the link below:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/SteRecPkgGuide.htm

Answering to your queries:

-" install the third party software if it is not present" -You can add detection condition to check software is present or not which is based on key file existance/file version comparision/registry key existance.Below link can give you more insight:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield23helplib/helplibrary/SteCommon.htm

- "update the third party software if it is present be not updated (an old version is installed)."-You can opt for minor upgrade handling parameter of suite package i.e under Packages->Your third party package->Common tab->Minor Upgrade Handling->Automatic.
Which will in turn allow you install upgrades of third-party if any.

Hope it helps,
Thanks,
Jenifer

0 Kudos