cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrispower42
Level 2

The version comparison failed. The setup will now terminate.

We're getting this error message at the very first step of running the installer, before any user input, if the installer has been run before and completed successfully and the product has not been uninstalled. This appears to be a result of upgrading to InstallShield 2018 R2. Previously our users have been able to run the installer multiple times and install the same product on the system multiple times, which is what we'd like to continue.

I appreciate there's already a posting with this subject. However my issue seems to be with our project design, not a failure to clean up the registry when uninstalling our product.

It appears the message is the result of InstallShield checking for product version and guid in the registry. Is there any way to regain the original behaviour?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @chrispower42 ,

• Just wondering "result of InstallShield checking for product version and guid in the registry. Is there any way to regain the original behavior?",what do these lines mean?
  • You had upgrades from which version of Installshield to IS2018 R2?i.e what is the working version?
  • Is your expectation something like user should be able to install same installer multiple times on machine?In this context next question would be what type of project is this ?(Basic MSI/Installscript ...)
  • In general if the setup is already installed,next time it will launch in maintenance mode where you can choose Modify/Repair/Remove depends on project type.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Jenifer. I've got a fix, currently in test. I looked at the registry entry created by the first installation: version was "0", and traced that back to the version number I used in my project being too big. I had a four-digit number in Product Version under INSTALLATION INFORMATION / General Information / General (cheerfully ignoring the fine print which says the limit is 255 on parts A and B), and also in the PRODUCT_VERSION string under USER INTERFACE / String Editor. I had changed it after upgrading and thought the failure was caused by the upgrade.

0 Kudos