cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamarden
Level 3

The installation of the product is not possible after switching to TLS 1.2 - what is the cause and how to fix?

Hello,

I have a software product that includes a server and a client. There is a setup for the server and a setup for the client created with InstallShield 2022. The server setup communicates with the database for the software product several times during the setup process.

The initial version of the setup was created several years ago. My current task is to make certain changes to the server setup to ensure that it uses TLS 1.2 for communication with the database, rather than an older version.

To achieve this, I have done the following:

1. I followed the instructions provided here and made the necessary changes to my setuphttps://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Error-27502-Could-Not-Connect-To-Microsoft-SQL-Server-Using-TLS/ta-p/4019
  2. Built a new version of the setup.
  3. Took a machine where I disabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 as follows: Start menu -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> scrolled down and unchecked "Use TLS 1.0" and "Use TLS 1.1". "Use TLS 1.2" is still enabled. The machine has ODBC Driver 11 and ODBC Driver 17 installed.
  4. Restarted the computer.
  5. Started the setup. In the window during the setup where it attempts to establish a connection with the database, I encountered the following error: "Error 27502. Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server '{HERE IS MY MACHINE NAME WITH THE SQL SERVER}'. [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server] Invalid attribute in connection string (0)"

Here are my questions:

1. What further adjustments do I need to make in the setup to ensure a successful installation?

2. Can I be certain that I have indeed disabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1, and that the setup communication with the database is only taking place via TLS 1.2?

Information about the machine where I am installing my product: Windows Server 2016 Standard (x64, Version 1607, Build 14393.5989).

InstallShield Version: InstallShield 2022 R2.

The setup has the value "Network Library=DBMSSOCN" in the field "IS_SQLSERVER_NETLIB_MS". The "ISSQLDBMetaData" table has been modified according to the instructions under point 1 from above.
I will provide any additional information if needed.

Regards,
iamarden

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
NikhilPatel
Level 3

I am facing exact same issue. Only difference is I am using Install shield 2020 R3. 
Can any one guide me on this? This is kind of urgent as TLS 1.0 and 1.1 has security vulnerabilities and cannot be enabled.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @iamarden ,

We have support for tls 1.2 from Installshield 2019, If you are using IS2020 then you no need to do any changes as per the KB article You have mentioned in step1.

IS2019- Release notes refer "Use OLE DB Driver for SQL Server"

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield25helplib/rn/ReleaseNotes.htm

Make sure the machine where you are running installer has 1.2 enabled and all others are disabled, 

And make sure your machine has latest OLEDB 18.0 or higher version is installed,

If your machine has any version higher then 18.6 installed, you may face the error 27502, You can fix it by following below KB article.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Error-27502-Could-not-connect-to-Microsoft-SQL-Server-local/ta-p/254602

You can verify the same with a test project and add a sql connection settings and run the installer in a machine where TLS1.2 only enabled and oledb version 18.3 or 18.6, if higher version is installed please uninstall and then install the suggestion version and then install the test project and verify it works or not.

0 Kudos

@varul wrote:

Hi @iamarden ,

We have support for tls 1.2 from Installshield 2019, If you are using IS2020 then you no need to do any changes as per the KB article You have mentioned in step1.

IS2019- Release notes refer "Use OLE DB Driver for SQL Server"

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield25helplib/rn/ReleaseNotes.htm

Make sure the machine where you are running installer has 1.2 enabled and all others are disabled, 

And make sure your machine has latest OLEDB 18.0 or higher version is installed,

If your machine has any version higher then 18.6 installed, you may face the error 27502, You can fix it by following below KB article.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Error-27502-Could-not-connect-to-Microsoft-SQL-Server-local/ta-p/254602

You can verify the same with a test project and add a sql connection settings and run the installer in a machine where TLS1.2 only enabled and oledb version 18.3 or 18.6, if higher version is installed please uninstall and then install the suggestion version and then install the test project and verify it works or not.

I tried it but it is still not working. I have only TLS 1.2 enabled on the server I am using the installer on and SQL server. But getting Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed. However I have ODBC Driver 18 installed version 18.3.2.1. 

Can you please guide me on this? Thanks

0 Kudos