cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mumbles
Level 7

TextStyle table being ignored during runtime.

Hello All,

I have my values set in the TextStyle table to have my fonts white since we use Red backgrounds. I set this and all has been working fantastically (Well as fantastically as settings color bits can be).

Until today, suddenly the fonts are black instead of white. I'm assuming black is the default font color. Does anyone have any idea why the fonts would be coming out black when i'm specifying white?

In the dialogs view it appears correctly, and this has been working for so long. The only change i've made was adding a merge module, which had no textstyle information, (as far as i'm aware).

Below are the TextStyle table settings and what i'm seeing in the Dialog view.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Extra-strange; as a test, does it work if you remove the merge module? If you look at the TextStyle table of the completed MSI (and not the .ism project file), does it look right? Perhaps use one of the comparison tools to compare the black and white MSIs?
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

I tried removing it, with no luck. I'll do a quick comparison and get back to you.
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Yep, it's being lost at build time. The information is there before build. Resulting MSI it is lost. Should this be reported as a bug?
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Better question is, where does one report a bug? I've never had to before.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I'll have to defer to someone in Support; if you have a support plan, I gather there's an obvious way to submit a bug report. Once upon a time there was www.installshield.com/feedback, but I'm not sure what the equivalent is today.

In the meantime, do you have an older copy of the project file that you can compare to the current one?
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

I don't currently have a support plan. Unfortunately. I can compare, but so much has changed it'll be hard to find the change. Do you have an idea as to which tables i can look at for an obvious culprit?
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

I'd be happy to help you with the submission of the bug, but first we need to narrow down the behavior a bit.

Which version and edition of IS are you using?

You said that the most recent change was to include a merge module. Which merge module(s) was added?

Have you found specifically which information, is removed at build? Is it only from the TextStyle table or are there others?

If you have the most recent version, IS2009, there is a new MSI Diff tool which highlights the changes between MSI files.

Is the issue reproducable in another (a new) project?
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Which version and edition of IS are you using?
IS 2009

You said that the most recent change was to include a merge module. Which merge module(s) was added?
TXTextControl14.0

Have you found specifically which information, is removed at build? Is it only from the TextStyle table or are there others?
Only the textstyle

If you have the most recent version, IS2009, there is a new MSI Diff tool which highlights the changes between MSI files.
I can't really run this because significant changes were made at the time of upgrading to IS2009

Is the issue reproducable in another (a new) project?
Yes, before IS2009.

I can forward you the projects if you wish. If i make the changes after the MSI is built, they hold. But somewhere along the line when building they are lost.

Please advise.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Private message me with your e-mail address or send the zipped project and the merge module to: mikeb acresso com
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Sent! Thank you.
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Over a year later and it's again occuring. I now think it has to do with CVS. I believe this occurs when we do a merge. I don't think it's the main ISM file that is the problem. I think it's a supporting file that maybe isn't in sync with the ISM file. Hmmm i can't believe this is happening again. Grrr.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

How do you think CVS affected things?--which supporting file?

Does it involve the 'TXTextControl14.0' merge module again?

What steps were taken immediately prior to the behavior (this time)?

What comes to mind when you think back to the last time this happened?
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

mberterm wrote:
How do you think CVS affected things?--which supporting file?

Does it involve the 'TXTextControl14.0' merge module again?

What steps were taken immediately prior to the behavior (this time)?

What comes to mind when you think back to the last time this happened?

I think what is occurring is we often check things into CVS and perhaps the string1033.txt, the ism and or the issetup.dll is out of sync. Once that occurs, we cannot seem to get the textcolor back to our text in our dialogs. Very odd.

I wish i could pinpoint the issue, but we usually don't see it until weeks later. 😞
0 Kudos