cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaitain
Level 2

Testing MSIs against Windows 7 (Problem)

Hi,

I've been asked to test our apps, which normally run on Windows XP 32-bit, against Windows 7 64-bit, and have encountered a problem. The first MSI I've tested is failing a launch condition because the value of the MSI property being checked is being reset back to false.

In terms of the action sequence, there is a custom action which initialises the property to false, followed by a custom action which checks for the presence of a file on the PC. The property is updated to true if the file is present. The launch conditions action is then called and the property checked. I've added some message boxes to the 2nd custom action and confirmed that the correct path is being searched, and that the file is being found. The launch condition always seems to see the property as false so displays the associated description and terminates the installation?

We are currently using "InstallShield 2009 Professional - Admin Studio Edition" which I know doesn't formally support Windows 7. Is there a workaround I can use to cure this, in the short term, or will I need to rebuild the MSI using the latest version of InstallShield? Also based on our current setup, which would be the best app to trial "Install Shield Professional 2012" or "AdminStudio".

Thanks

Kaitain
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Kaitain
Level 2

Hi,

I think I've identified the problem as follows:-

The launch condition was just checking [PROPERTY], which I've found out only returns True/False if the property has been set or not, rather than its contents. Our MSI developer had set the property's value to "True" or "False" if the file was detected. By changing the launch condition to [PROPERTY = "True"] seems to give the desired response, true when the file is present and false otherwise. Weird that this worked under windows XP :confused: .

The next fly in the ointment, is an "Error 1721. ... A program required for this install to complete could not be run".

I've traced this back to a self extracting zip file, that is installed by the MSI, and then run by a custom action using the "\auto" flag. This seems to work under windows XP but not windows 7. Could this be related to Windows 7 security?

Regards

Kaitain
0 Kudos