Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anfaenger
Level 2

Templates for Transforms?

Hi Community!

Is it possible to create a template for Transforms?:confused:

What I have done is create a standard MSI template with proprties, registry settings, system searches, custom actions and conditions. This works fine basing repacker projects or new projects on this template, but I'd like to use this logic on vendor supplied MSIs.

What I would like to do is create parallel to this a transform template, but I can't find such an option.

Can someone point me in the right direction?:o

Thanks

Anfaenger
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You can use InstallShield to generate a transform project based on a particular MSI package, and then use Project > Settings to turn off validation based on the Product Code to make the transform generic?
0 Kudos
crosis
Level 3

I was refered to this thread form here: http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=183292

I reviewed the content of this thread and wanted to spur some more discussion on the tecnical aspects of MST templates and how to create one.

I started with a blank MSI, nothing in it except the base items included in an MSI when you create one from scratch using installshield editor (2008 in my case). I than created another MSI, starting with the first blank project and added the ALLUSERS=1 and TRANSFORMSSECURE=1 along with a feature that contains 1 component which contains a small number of registry keys that contain install-time variables such as the user account that ran the installer, the date/time and some static info such as the version of the template I am using.

After running an MSI Diff against these packages, I notice that some expected changes are in the DIFF such as the feature table additions and registry additions.

Some unexpected changes are listed for the binary table, and some other tables for which i do not have a full understanding of thier usage or what they represent.

I worry about creating an MST based on the differences in these two packages, because AFAIK there should be no modification of the binary table, because I haven't included any new binaries or modified existing ones.

I also wonder about the impact of having a transform that ADDS a row for ALLUSERS and TRANSFORMSSECURE and how that works when you have a package that already includes those properties, and could possibly have them set to the value of 2 (in the case of ALLUSERS).

If anyone has the knowledge and time to add some details around this topic, regarding how-to's using Installshield, known pitfalls, tests that could be done to verify that you are not introducing garbage into your template that could catch up to you after deploying 250 packages using it to 10,000 computers.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Can you get any more details about what changed in the Binary table, and what the other surprising changes were?
0 Kudos