cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Suppress the reboot prompt for the .NET 3.5 SP1 redist

I have a Basic MSI project that now needs to load the 3.5 SP1 redistributable for the .NET framework. It loads fine but as soon as it finishes it displays a prompt saying the system has to reboot, and you can either say yes and it will reboot, or no and it will stop the install.

I then went in and edited the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Web Download) redistributable using the prerequisite editor. I changed the behavior if it needs a reboot to 'Note it, fail to resume if the machine is rebooted, and reboot after the installation'. I interpreted that as meaning the reboot prompt would not be shown until the end of the install, but it still showed up in the same place.

Is there a way to suppress the prompt until the end of the install? Do I need to pick a different option from that drop-down in the pre-req editor?

Bonus question: if I need to run my install silently, is there a way to automatically have it reboot after the entire install is finished if one is needed?

EDIT:
A better question would be, is a reboot really required after installing the .NET 3.5 SP1 redistributable, or is it one of those things where it would be nice, but isn't absolutely needed for programs to start using the 3.5 framework?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Your understanding of the option is correct, but it does not control if a prerequisite itself shows its own message. It sounds like in this case the .NET 3.5 redistributable is requesting a reboot. There may be command line parameters that can modify this behavior (see if Microsoft documents any), but I am not able to assess their safety for your use.
0 Kudos