cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

Support files for Update.exe

Is it possible to put Support files in(compressed inside) update.exe(patch) the way we can do for Setup.exe? If yes, How?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

InstallShield people please help...
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Files in the Support Files|Disk1 view are never streamed into setup.exe/update.exe, as they are files that should reside on Disk1 by definition.

Files in Support Files|Language Independent (or a language specific area) are streamed into the ISSetupFile table when building an MSI package. If the set of files in this view changes between base and upgraded MSI(s), the differences will be included in the resulting patch built by patchwiz.dll. The final view of the ISSetupFile table at runtime would allow for the correct set of support files available for Basic MSI projects in the UI and execute sequences, and the execute sequence of InstallScript MSI projects (this is due to the inherent complexity and overhead introduced by this project type).
0 Kudos
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

Thanks Josh, that helped. However as a feature enhancement, something can be included in patch design view using which one can put files in issetup. I feel that would be more intuitive to use.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

I apologize for the late reply on this thread.

This could be something that could possibly be changed in a future release. One thing to keep in mind that could limit this functionality, though, is that the only storage that can be relied on being present at all times for MSI projects is the MSI file. Files such as ISSetup.dll are not necessarily guaranteed to be available at all times (only a traditional-style InstallScript MSI could make this guarantee, although there are exceptions) and may or may not execute code to extract files in all scenarios. Since the ISSetupFile table and related custom actions are located in the MSI file to account for the most common scenarios, adding additional support files elsewhere could result in duplicated functionality.

Do you have a specific goal in mind that you are trying to accomplish in your patch?
0 Kudos
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

Actually I want to show some patch information, for instance fixes etc at the installation runtime of the patch.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This should be possible with the current functionality. Depending upon how you wanted to display this information (for example, as RTF text on a dialog control, or launching a text file with notepad.exe), the information file could be included in a dialog (with a scrollable memo control, sequence the dialog) or as a support file. The approach taken also depends on your project type. Basic MSI will be simpler and can use the dialog approach which would not require any support files be included. The dialog containing the information could be sequenced after PatchWelcome. For future patches, only the information on the dialog would need to be updated in the latest upgraded package.
0 Kudos
Wojtek
Level 2

joshstechnij wrote:
Files in the Support Files|Disk1 view are never streamed into setup.exe/update.exe, as they are files that should reside on Disk1 by definition.

Files in Support Files|Language Independent (or a language specific area) are streamed into the ISSetupFile table when building an MSI package. If the set of files in this view changes between base and upgraded MSI(s), the differences will be included in the resulting patch built by patchwiz.dll. The final view of the ISSetupFile table at runtime would allow for the correct set of support files available for Basic MSI projects in the UI and execute sequences, and the execute sequence of InstallScript MSI projects (this is due to the inherent complexity and overhead introduced by this project type).

I have a problem with this functionality. I need to show the license before applying a patch, but it's just not working. I use InstallScript MSI Project (InstallShield 12 Premier Edition). I did check the ISSetupFile tables in both old and new msi file and it's changed (new msi has additional files), but the new files are not unpacked into the temp folder anyway. I need help with this, because I have no ideas left how to make it work. Any ideas, workarounds?
0 Kudos