cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Suite package release flags only work for features

I can add release flags to features and packages. However, if I just add a release flag to a package and my release configuration, the package is incorrectly added to the release configuration.

If I add a release flag to a feature and compile, associating the package with the new feature, then the package compiles as I expected.

For example, I created two releases, WEB and FULL

I include the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Web) configuration as a package and set the release flag to WEB. If I compile the FULL release the FULL release ignores any release flags on packages.

If I create a new feature for SystemPrerequisitesFull, set a release flag for it, and then associate the 'FULL' packages with it, and create another feature for 'WEB' and associate those packages with it, then it will compile as I expect.

This is a workaround and makes it a bit more cumbersome in terms of organizational units and future maintenance, but still workable.

Is this working as designed? The help file is not specific in terms of the functionality of package release flags.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In a quick test I cannot confirm the behavior you saw. Starting with a new project, I added a package and set its Release Flags to WEB. Then I added a release and set its Release Flags to FULL. When I built, I got errors including -7238, -7225 and -7224 (no files, no packages, no primary packages) that indicate the package was excluded. If I clear out the release's Release Flags, or change it to WEB, then the package is included and I do not see the build errors.

Can you help track down the difference between what we just tested? It may help to cross-check the setup.xml in the ..\..\Interm folder, looking for the package in question under the Parcels element, or to save a couple built with different flags and diff them.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Hmm, you are right. I had an existing test project that I had tried this on and it failed there. I deleted the test project and started over and now it works.

So it must have something to do with the configuration of the xml as you suggest. Unfortunately I cannot spend a whole lot of time right now trying to discover the trigger in my scenario due to impending deadlines, but I do appreciate you taking a look at it.
0 Kudos