cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Suite installer log files

Hi ,

We have created a Suite installer , which has exes(created using Installscript MSI project) as packages
We need to generate a log file for this Suite installer . Present if we want log file for suite installer we are running suite installer through command line and passing command line parameter “/debuglog"C:\SuiteLogFile.log"”.
Do we have any option in Suite installer to generate log files( similar to MSI Command-line Arguments we have in Installscript MSI project)?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
PlinyElder
Level 7

I have not found any other option to this.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Do you want the typical suite log stuff in there or just your stuff?

I posted a suggestion a while back on the 2015 forum.
https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?220337-Some-Ideas-for-Flexera-for-Improving-the-Suite-Project

Add a 'CustomerLogInfo' action. It's easy enough to add things to the suite log using SuiteLogInfo in an InstallScript action, but I wanted our own log. I got this done by creating a New Exe Action for each line I wanted to log. I can't post the details because it violates posting rules of this forum.

In my case I wanted just my stuff in the log. I started generating the log with a preinstall event (bat file), which recorded a lot of info about the server, SQL version and instances, etc. So I saved the log filespec in a registry key. In the Suite I added to that log with an EXE event for each thing I wanted to log. Then I added more to the log in a post install event (another bat file). The registry key was needed because I was logging from 3 different entities. (the registry hack is why I could not post exact details).

In your case you could just use a property (something like LogFileSpec) for the log file spec. Then each EXE log event would look something like this:
Action
(Note: I can't put exact text on line below because it violates security rules of this forum! Remove spaces in string after C.)
File - [SystemFolder]C M D.e x e
Arguments - /C ECHO(%Date% %Time:~0,8% Whatever you want to log goes here >>"[LogFileSpec]"
Window - Hide

All of the above is assuming you want your own log, not the suite log info.
Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi rguggisberg,
We need to create a log file for Suite installer , it has to do the same functionality what /debuglog does.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

I agree with PlinyElder. Don't think there is a way to do that.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Thank you rguggisberg and PlinyElder
0 Kudos