cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Suite install re-started after power-fail interruption

I discovered by accident that if my suite install was interrupted while running (a power fail in my case) and the machine is then rebooted and I login, an attempt is then made to re-run the suite installation from the point of failure.

This would be good if it wasn't for the fact the the suite install dialogues are missing some text and the setup fails anyway. The setup was run from a network share.

I guess this maybe part of the InstallShield self-healing functionality. In case this happens again is there anyway to disable this behaviour?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

There isn't any way currently to disable this functionality. I've submitted an enhancement request to allow for disabling this in the future (work order IOA-000069627).

Note that you can do one of the following if the suite was interrupted before completing and does not run correctly on resume:
- Cancel the install and exit, then rerun the suite again. This will clean up the state information maintained on the machine.
- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\SuiteInstallers. A subkey with the suite GUID for your suite installation should be present in this key. Open this key and note the temp folder path then delete the key. Open Windows Explorer and delete the temp folder path referenced in the SuiteInstallers\ key (delete the whole folder, not just the file referenced in the registry).
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Josh. Thanks for confirming that. Is the install state also held in a file somewhere in addition to the registry key?

I'm going to attempt to clean the state up programmatically if possible.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Information is stored on the file system based on the path stored in the registry in the SuiteInstallers\ key. When a suite installation exits normally this information is automatically cleaned up.

Can you provide any further details on the scenario that you seeing where the suite does not resume correctly? What behavior are you seeing exactly after resume? At what point during the setup was it interrupted (staging, installing, etc.)? Is this a multilanguage setup (since you mentioned strings not showing)? Does this behavior reproduce with a sample project? We are trying to understand this issue better to ensure that the resume support is working as intended.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Josh.

I'm producing a suite installer for a commercial backup program. Part of the installation process is to create a snapshot of the machine - note this is done while the suite installer is running. This also snapshots the registry including the fact that the SuiteInstallers\ keys are set plus the additional self-heal runonce keys created.

Therefore when a recovery is made by the backup program the registry SuiteInstallers\ + RunOnce keys are restored and the suite installer attempts to resume the original suite install.

For me the ability to prevent the keys being created during install would 'fix' this behaviour, but I appreciate this is a very isolated case.
0 Kudos