cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Suite install crashes during building

Are there any samples of a basic Suite installation?

We have a wrapper that we have generated that has the combined UI, launches multiple .msi/.exe files, installs prerequisites and much more and so I just wanted to compare with what the new Suite installer does, but I am having issues right out of the gate...

I created a basic Suite project with a single feature and single package that contains a .msi file. Without changing anything else I performed a build. The build process got to Adding files to package and then IS 2012 crashes and exists. Basic error stating IS 2012 stopped working...

Looking at the build log this is all that was in it:

Created release folders
Embedding manifest SetupExe.Invoker.manifest into setup.exe
Processing Package 'Product Name'
Adding files for Package 'Product Name'

So maybe there are some other configurations that had to be done before the project could be built, but for it to crash everytime I build is not that encouraging....

So if there is a small sample that I can look at and try to build to see if it builds that would be great...

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

First things first, I'd make sure you've got the hotfix from near the end of this thread. (From what I know of your projects, I bet you're hitting the crash that occurs when there are a lot of languages in a referenced .msi file.)
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Thanks MichaelU,

After applying the hotfix the install did build.

Now I have ran into a few more issues.
First the order of install. I saw that you have to simply order the Packages from top to bottom on the order they will be installed, but the problem comes during the uninstall. The uninstall order is the same as the install order instead of reverse order.

I need the uninstall to uninstall in reverse order of how they were installed. So can this be done and if so how?

I also noticed that the progress bar does not indicate what package is being installed. It just states "Installing Package". Is there a way to have this display the correct package name?

As well I noticed that the guage does not move when installing files from the packages. Does it only update after each package is installed?

I use the Feature Tree to have users select what packages to install. I also have a list of Language Packs that can be installed as well. When I run the install all of the language packs are checked to be installed. How can I have it so that only the language pack that matches the System Language is selected and all the rest off until the user selects them?

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Currently only FIFO order is supported for package processing.

If you only see Installing Package, maybe they're wrapping. Try shorter names, adding spaces, changing the size of the text fields on the InstallationProgress wizard page, or setting one of the ELLIPSIS styles on them. If it never shows the package name, something else must be going wrong.

You can choose the progress bar's property between ISInstallProgress and ISParcelProgress; they each show different granularity.

For defaulting languages to match the machine, see the recent InstallTalk blog article Selecting Suite Packages to Match the Language of the Target Machine.
0 Kudos