gridman
Pilgrim

Re: Suite Project on a 64-Bit Xeon Processor

Michael, here are the files you requested.

There is the InstallShield.log for the bootstrapper. There is also the msi installation log, MSI60B66.LOG.

I could only find Setup_UI.xml in the temporary folder. Is that what you are looling for?
0 Kudos
JohnCresswell
Pilgrim

Thank you for uploading the files. The problem appears to stem from two custom actions that you have in the UI sequence of your MSIs. These actions are used to control INSTALLDIR for the 32 and 64 bit installers (essentially changing ProgramFilesFolder to ProgramFiles64Folder where appropriate). The problem occurs as the MSIs are being run with the /qn switch which prevent these custom actions from running and so INSTALLDIR is left at the default value set. The result being your 64 bit files are installed to the 32 bit Program Files folder.

There are a couple of possible workarounds for this:

- Use the suite command line functionality to pass the value of INSTALLDIR that is required for the 64 bit MSI.
- Have the custom actions be in both UI and Execute sequence and mark them to run only once.

Also, in general we would recommend using MSI packages if the underlying install is a .msi file. So rather than using the setup.exe you would instead just use the msi files. This allows us to peak under the hood a little better so we can set up detect and eligibility conditions for you and also we can hook the progress from the MSI so it can be seen from the suites progress bar. If you have any question or concerns about doing this please let me know and I will happily try to help further.
0 Kudos
gridman
Pilgrim

Thanks for the reply, John. I will change and use MSI files in the Suite package installer.

At one time, I did have the custom actions in both the UI and Execute sequences. However, there was a problem the ones I stuck in the Execute sequence. Don't recall what it was. Possibly where I put it in the sequence.

I will try out both suggestions.

Thanks to the InstallShield staff for the help.
0 Kudos
gridman
Pilgrim

John, I was using the following command line with Setup.exe in the Suite package installation:

/s /v/qn

I was not aware that using the quiet option would cause those custom actions to not run. Can you explain that to me so I know in the future?
0 Kudos
JohnCresswell
Pilgrim

The /qn parameter that you pass to the MSI causes it to run with no UI. As your custom actions are only in the UI sequence they are never encountered and so never run. If you add the custom actions to both sequences but mark them to run only once this should resolve the problem you are seeing.
0 Kudos
gridman
Pilgrim

OK. The part I was missing was because the custom actions were in the UI sequence only. So, what you say makes sense.

I am putting the custom actions in both sequences and also changing from using SETUP.EXEs to MSIs in the packages.

Thanks.
0 Kudos