cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ikotlova
Level 4

Strings not recognozed in minor upgrade for IS2010-built package

Hello,

I am performing minor upgrade of a Spanish product: upgrading IS2008-built package of an older version with IS2010-built package of a newer version. In both packages Spanish and English are among the list of supported languages with Spanish being set as the default language.

After the newer package is started and minor upgrade is identified, the Welcome dialog appears with string identifyers instead of strings themselves -
please see the attachment of the right bottom corner of the Welcome dialog:
##IDS_BACK## is shown instead of 'Back' (button)
##IDS_NEXT## is shown instead of 'Next' (button)
##IDS_CANCEL## is shown instead of 'cancel' (button)

The same problem can be observed if I manually update setup.ini and remove all but Spanish from 'Supported' setting of [Languages] section.
before:
[Languages]
RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804
RTLLangs=0x0401,0x040d
Default=0x040a
Supported=0x0407,0x0409,0x040a,0x040c,0x0410,0x0413

after:
[Languages]
RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804
RTLLangs=0x0401,0x040d
Default=0x040a
Supported=0x040a

I notice that the bootstrapper starts in English although the default language is Spanish. This is a change in IS2010 as opposed to IS2008 where the
bootstapper starts in Spanish in case Spanish is the default language.

BTW: The same problem happens on both Spanish and English XP: the bootstrapper starts in English for a package built with IS2010.

Does anybody know how to address the issue?
How to force UI language to be Spanish regardless of the OS language?

Thanks!
IK
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(15) Replies
shd_ana
Level 3

Hi ikotlova,
I have the same problem. What can I do?
Have you solved the problem?

Regards,
Andreas
0 Kudos
shd_ana
Level 3

Is there anybody who can help me?
I haven't solved this problem.

I only convert my project from IS2009 to IS2010 and build the setup.
0 Kudos
DeIx05
Level 2

Hi,
I have the same problem after upgrading from InstallShield 12 to 2010. The only work around is performing a transform wth the required language specific mst file. But in IntsallShield 12 this was not necessary for the default language. I also need a solution!

Regards, Harald
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Hi,

I had similar problems after updating my Basic MSI project from IS 2008 to IS 2010.

• Have you tried to apply the fix Q205590?
  • Alternatively, have you installed IS 2010 SP1? This service pack includes the bugfix above.

Regards
0 Kudos
DeIx05
Level 2

Hi Reureu,
SP1 is already installed on my maschine. The only idea would be to setup the project from scratch and throwing away the converted version. But that is a lot of work. So hopefully another solution can be found...

Regards, Harald
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi there,

Please go to the Releases view in the IS2010 project and on the 'Build' tab of the release you are working on, set the 'Build UTF-8 Database' to Yes and then rebuild the release.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos
ikotlova
Level 4

Alpesh,

Thank you very much - your recommendation fixed the problem!

I think I tried it before without IS 2010 SP1 installed and it did not work.

Anyway, now everything is all right - thanks a lot,
IK
0 Kudos
ikotlova
Level 4

Alpesh,

The original problem went away.

However another one appeared: during uninstall on XP operating system the standard MSI message 'Please wait while Windows configures [Product Name]' contains damaged symbols. Please see UninstallSymbolsDamaged.png attachment.

The problem is not seen on each XP system, however I cannot figure out what is the dependency.

There is no problem on Vista and Windows7.

Any help is appreciated,
IK
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Thanks for the heads up IK ..

I will see if I can reproduce the behavior in-house and then will update you ..
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

ikotlova wrote:
Alpesh,

The original problem went away.

However another one appeared: during uninstall on XP operating system the standard MSI message 'Please wait while Windows configures [Product Name]' contains damaged symbols. Please see UninstallSymbolsDamaged.png attachment.

The problem is not seen on each XP system, however I cannot figure out what is the dependency.

There is no problem on Vista and Windows7.

Any help is appreciated,
IK

Hi There,

I believe that the garbled text you're seeing is resultant from an issue that stems from Microsoft's support for UTF Encoding in MSI databases.

From the docs:

"However, some scenarios result in user interface issues. For example, if an end user specifies the /qb command-line option or uninstalls the product from Add or Remove Programs, Windows Installer uses very small fonts to display the user interface text in a UTF-8 database."

Small fonts are typical, but in some cases you'll see the squares (particularly with Asian languages systems). My understanding is that it's a problem with mapping a system font, and so there's a few different ways it can manifest depending on the windows UI settings. Unfortunately, there's no way around this until Microsoft comes up with a workaround for their UTF database support.*

*This assumes that this is the same issue I've seen before. Which seems likely.
0 Kudos
ikotlova
Level 4

Alpesh,

I understand that originally this may be a Microsoft issue.

However for our IS2010-built product this is the regression as compared to the previous IS2008-built product. What is the way for us to go back from Unicode to ANSI so that we did not have to deal with this unrecognized symbols issues?

Thank you,
Irina
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

I have attached a hotfix that should resolve the change in behavior from previous versions of InstallShield compared to IS 2010. Extract the contents of the attached zip file to C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\System (please make a backup copy of the existing ISWiBuild.dll before extracting the new file). Then, try rebuilding your project.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues.
0 Kudos
ikotlova
Level 4

The symbols are still not shown correctly during uninstall on 'Please wait while Windows configures [Product Name]' standard dialog with setup built with the fixed ISWIBuild.dll.

It is interesting that all symbols are shown correctly on the next custom message box that our setup throws with the standard SprintfBox() InstallScript function call.

IK
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

In order for the attached fix to work correctly, the UTF-8 database setting on the release being built needs to be set back to "No". This fix should resolve the original behavior you were seeing with unresolved string IDs appearing in the MSI user interface before changing the Build UTF-8 Database setting.
0 Kudos
ikotlova
Level 4

Hi joshstechnij,

QA has just verified that the original minor upgrades problem with the unresolved symbols in Spanish is fixed.

Thank you so much for the fix!
IK
0 Kudos