cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph
Level 8

Standlone builder => licensing

Hi,

I'm currently using InstallShield 2008 Premier and are thinking about "moving" to InstallShield 2012 Premier Spring Edition.
One of the changes against the earlier approach of Installshield 2008, is that they have also licensed the StandAlone builder application.

We use approx. 8 buildsystems where we need to install a StandAlone builder on.

The question that I have is how the StandAlone builder application is using it's license check?
Do you need a license per 'standalone builder install' or do you need a license per 'active' standalone builder application, meaning you can install 20 standalone applications but use only the amount where you have licensed for, simultaneously?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Both node-locked (traditional) and concurrent (sometimes called floating) licenses are available for the Standalone Build.

A node-locked license of the Standalone Build is tied to a specific user and machine. A node-locked license for the Standalone Build requires a Flexera Software–generated license file for the machine on which you install the Standalone Build.

You may be more interested in concurrent licensing. This type enables sharing of licenses among a maximum number of simultaneous users. The product on each machine is connected to a licensing server that your organization sets up. The licensing server has a Flexera Software–generated license file.

The Professional edition of InstallShield comes with 1 free license of the Standalone Build. The Premier edition comes with 5 free licenses.

For more information, check with a sales rep, or fill out the online form:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/company/contact.htm
0 Kudos
LJHarris
Level 3

You should look at the following links if you are planning on using IS SAB. I believe the first link is still an issue and during discussions with Flexera my company was told not to use concurrent licenses for the SAB on our production build servers. Since we cannot use concurrent licenses, we have the problem with node-locked licenses in the 2nd link below that Flexera will not address.

StandAlone Concurrent License Error -7159 - Flexera Software Community
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=198099&highlight=license

Flexera does not support downgrade rights for Standalone Build
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?201154-Flexera-does-not-support-downgrade-rights-for-Standalone-Build&highlight=

😞
0 Kudos
Shuttledude
Level 7

Actually, this error also occurs with standalone (i.e., not just concurrent) licensing. I am trying to build an InstallShield 2012 Spring SP1 project. I use a Team Foundation Server 2012 build definition, which kicks off a Visual Studio 2012 "build definition" that compiles a *.sln file which has the InstallShield *.isproj as one of its projects (i.e., the InstallShield *.ism is "embedded" into the Visual Studio 2012 *.sln, so the setup is simply one of many projects in the solution).

This worked fine until a few days ago, when it just stopped with Error -7159. However, I can build/compile other *.sln files that include other *.ism/*.isproj files on the same computer, no problem. Save version of Visual Studio, same version of InstallShield. So the license can't be unitialized or expired, or all builds would fail on that computer.

Sure hope someone figures this out soon. 😞
0 Kudos