cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garypaquette
Level 4

Splash Screen

The documentation says you can use a BMP or GIF file as the splash screen. Though in the IDE you I select to Add a File, only BMP is available, why?

"In the Splash Screen node of the Support Files view, you can insert bitmap (.bmp) or GIF files that can be used during your installation. These files exist on the target system only during the installation process and are removed from the target system when the installation is complete."

I am looking to use a GIF since it is the only format that supports background transparencies.

Also, can you control the duration of the splashscreen - after all the work of creating the BMP I want on screen a little longer 🙂

Gary
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

What type of project is this? GIF splash screens might be just for InstallScript projects...
0 Kudos
garypaquette
Level 4

It is an InstallShield script. Though it is interesting that the IDE information indicates that BMP and GIF's are the only supported formats. If you search the Help documentation - only BMP is supported. So the docs do not match the IDE information.
We would really like to use a GIF since it is the only format that supports transparent backgrounds.
Also - how to you change the amount of time it displays on screen?

Gary
0 Kudos
MGarrett
Level 6

Gary,
Even though the documentation says you can use a .gif or .bmp in an InstallScript project, the "Add File" dialog only shows .bmp files. As a workaround, I was able to create an InstallScript project using a .GIF as a splashscreen by dragging the GIF file into the Support Files/Splash Screen view.

I tried to do the same thing as you by adding a transparent .GIF. The .GIF would display, but I could never get the transparency to work correctly. I wrote to InstallShield support, Incident # SIOA-000097831, and was told that the Splash Screen does not support transparency.

You can change the duration of the splash screen by going to the Media \ Releases, "Setup.exe" tab, and changing the "Minimum Initialization Time".
0 Kudos
garypaquette
Level 4

That helps - thanks!
0 Kudos