cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glen_T
Level 5

Some empty folders on ALLUSERS=1 install

I've got a series of projects that I want to activate ALLUSERS=1 on. In my testing, I am finding that when I log on to a user other than the admin user (that was used for the original installation) and click on a shortcut to the application (and the installer runs to install it) that some folders are created but are empty.

When I investigated further, I found that deleting a problem folder and then recreating it and then copying the files into it using the InstallShield Specify Application Data > Files interface will fix the problem. It seems that only folders that were originally created using ISX2008 work. Folders that were created with previous versions of ISX do not work.

My problem is that there are 107 folders in each project containing over 1000 files. And I have 37 ISX projects. I need a faster way to fix this, then deleting and recreating each folder. Suggestions appreciated.

Edit: these projects work fine (and have been working for years) with ALLUSERS=0 when installed by a single admin user.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Glen_T
Level 5

This is a bug report. I'm hoping for a response from the moderator.
0 Kudos
Glen_T
Level 5

I took another (smaller) project of ours and set ALLUSERS=1 and tested. This one installs correctly for the admin user, but does not install anything but Start menu items and a shortcut for the two limited users. No registry entries. No files in PersonalFolder. And the shortcut references the Admin copy for start-in location.

I am now going to try rebuilding this project from scratch. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'm going to do.
0 Kudos
Glen_T
Level 5

I finally came to the conclusion that the ALLUSERS setting of ISX just does not support projects that install files in the PersonalFolder (My Documents) folder of the current user. It sort-of works in some cases, and not in others. It just acts flakey on installation and uninstallation. The bottom line is that if you want to enable installation for all users, you can't be putting files in the current user's folders.

P.S. I'd like to thank Acresso for all their assistance on this... NOT.
0 Kudos