Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcom36
Level 7

Small update not working

Hello

I hope someone can help.

I have an installed version 2.0.0. I made an installer for a version 2.0.1, without a lot of changes. The default "small update" should do it. I run the installer of version 2.0.1 and it asks if the update should be done. I answer with yes, the whole update is performed without any errors.

When I go into the start menu and start the application, the repair mode appears and installs back 2.0.0.

When restarting the installer, it does not ask if the update should be done but displays the repair/change/remove dialog.

What am I doing wrong? Why does the update from 2.0.0 seem to word and finally it installs back version 2.0.1?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
tcom36
Level 7

No idea or hint?

How can it be that the update works without signalling any problem, but when I start the newer version, it goes into repair mode and reinstalls the older version?

What is the trigger for InstallShield to go into repair mode?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Does the Event Viewer give you any clues as to what is happening when you start the new version?
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

tcom36 wrote:
No idea or hint?

How can it be that the update works without signalling any problem, but when I start the newer version, it goes into repair mode and reinstalls the older version?

What is the trigger for InstallShield to go into repair mode?

First of all, it seems that you have set the Option "Continue on failure"
so IS ignores any error while the update process runs and after you open
the application, Windows Installer registers, that there are different versions of files (dll's or whatever) and then the repair mode will be called and the result is the old version of the Application

I recommend, to choose Major instead of Minor Upgrade, even there are only some files to update.. cause with this method you can be shure, that the old version will be removed correctly (see examples attached)
0 Kudos
Not applicable

It's likely you have violated component rules without meaning to do so and thus are causing the small upgrade to fail. The easiest way to validate this is to create a log file of the installation and then search for SELMGR in the log. If you find any instances then they should clearly indicate the issue.

For more information on creating an MSI log file, please reference this article:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q104807
0 Kudos
tcom36
Level 7

Thank you for your replies.

@DebbieL: there is indeed an entry in the event viewer which points to a possible problem "Detection of product '{4D...}', feature 'myFeature1' failed during request for component '{63...}'.

In the meantime, I went back to the installer for version 2.0.0 and made again all necessary changes for 2.01, and now, everything seems to work.

So the problem is solved for now, and thanks to your hints, I hopefully will have some points to check the next time the problem happens.
0 Kudos