cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KimberlyHarms
Level 2

Small Update

I want to do what is known as a "small update". According to the Macrovision "Tips & Tricks" DPF file (titled "About component, package, product, and upgrade codes in Windows Installer") one has to get on the command line invoking the installer:

REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

Two problems:

1. The "Tips & Tricks" say to add these into the setup.ini in the CmdLine key. Problem is setup.ini is recreated each time I build - it has to be as it contains the PackageCode which changes each build. I really don't want to have to edit setup.ini by hand each time to get the CmdLine key the way I need it.

2. I would really like to make a single image file and that has no setup.ini

Question: 1: Is there anyplace in InstallShield Express to set these parameters so they get put in the Install.ini file when the build happens?

Question 2: Is there any way I can get the effect I need if I create a Single Image file? It has to invoke the Windows Installer so it could easily pass command line parameters.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Small updates/minor upgrades are generally considered more advanced Windows Installer concepts due to the authoring rules that need to be followed. Express is generally targeted at simpler installation and upgrade scenarios (QuickPatches/major upgrades) and therefore doesn't expose any functionality for setting the MSI command line in setup.ini (this is available in the Pro/Premier editions). As such, manually editing the setup.ini would be required (note that a small update may not work as expected with MSI packages built with Express since it does not make any attempts to follow Windows installer minor upgrade component rules).

Setup.ini would also have to be modified for single setup.exe installations, although it will be harder to do since the setup.ini is embedded in the setup.exe (we have a tool available in KB article http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q107253).
0 Kudos