cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmetzler
Level 6

Single .msi for both 32-bit and 64-bit installs?

I have an existing .msi installer with 32-bit components. This also needs to run in Vista 64-bit and work correctly.

Testing the current installer build on Vista 64-bit reveals that certain registry keys are not being written correctly. The installer .msi writes directly to a couple of registry keys during installation.

HKCR\CLSID\{231980AC-130D-49d6-8997-822E78EA46E5}\etc.
is being written to:
HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{231980AC-130D-49d6-8997-822E78EA46E5}\etc.

and

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\etc.
is being written to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\etc.

Specifically, the above is for a desktop icon (not a shortcut link). This works okay in Win32 (XP/Vista) but fails in Vista 64.

If I go hack the registry using regedit.exe and put in the correct keys, the desktop icon shows up correctly.

So...

Is there a way for force the registry keys to be written directly to the exact registry keys intended from a 32-bit installer (with all 32-bit components)?

I have tried setting the 64-bit component flag on a component, but get an error when building the installer project:

"Intel64 or AMD64 must be specified in the template of the Summary Stream."

What does this mean? I don't want to mark the entire .msi as 64-bit as it also needs to run in 32-bit windows.

Thanks in advance,

Don Metzler
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

You can specify only one processor type for the Template Summary property of an .msi package. Therefore, you can't specify something like Intel and x64 in a single package. A package can have one value or the other, but not both. Although 32-bit installations run on 64-bit machines, they cannot install to 64-bit locations, as you noticed in your test. These are limitations of Windows Installer, as documented in About Windows Installer on 64-Bit Operating Systems on MSDN. Here's a link to a blog post that has more information:
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/01/15/different-packages-are-required-for-different-processor-architectures.aspx

Note that you can build two installations (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) from a single project by using release flags and by overriding the Template Summary property for different product configurations in the Releases view.
0 Kudos
dmetzler
Level 6

DebbieL wrote:
You can specify only one processor type for the Template Summary property of an .msi package. Therefore, you can't specify something like Intel and x64 in a single package. A package can have one value or the other, but not both. Although 32-bit installations run on 64-bit machines, they cannot install to 64-bit locations, as you noticed in your test. These are limitations of Windows Installer, as documented in About Windows Installer on 64-Bit Operating Systems on MSDN. Here's a link to a blog post that has more information:
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/01/15/different-packages-are-required-for-different-processor-architectures.aspx

Note that you can build two installations (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) from a single project by using release flags and by overriding the Template Summary property for different product configurations in the Releases view.

Thanks for the information. This confirms what I suspected.

Don
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

This is all true, but if your willing to color outside of the lines and having a unified package is very important to you, there are those who say you can do this:

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2008/01/even-developers-are-concerned-about.html
0 Kudos