cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

Silent uninstallation using response file

Hi I have one setup.exe(very bugging)..I generated one response file for that..I am using this response file for silent uninstallation but two dialog boxes are always coming..I want to get rid of these two dialog box anyhow
1st Dialog box is

And second OK message box(which I am not attatching) comes after uninstallation of application...I don't want these two message boxes to come during uninstallation...

Response file is below

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{Product-Key}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={Product-Key}-AskYesNo-0
Count=2
Dlg1={Product-Key}-SdFinish-0
[{Product-Key}-AskYesNo-0]
Result=1
[{Product-Key}-SdFinish-0]
Result=1
bOpt1=0
bOpt2=0

Plaese help me in this problem
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

Are you sure you are running the unisntall silently? What is the command line you are using to run silently?
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

yeah...
Command is
"C:\path for setup.exe" -uninst -s -f1"path of uninstall.iss"

Could you tell me any other way to do this..I need to solve this problem..

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

What type of setup is this? (InstallScript, InstallScript MSI?) What version was used to create the setup? The -uninst switch works differently in previous versions depending on the setup type.

Also, try using the -d switch in the command line, does any script code execute during the uninstall?

Devin Ellingson
Sofware Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

thanks Devin ....InstallShield 12 was used to build setup.exe(its a third party application 😞 )...It doesn't execute any script during uninstallation...

I was not able to generate uninstall.iss.. So I created it manually..Plaese look at the dialog boxes....What should I do to make it complete silent uninstallation..???:confused:

I tried -d option also..It didn't work../qn /y ..several option I have tried but none of them have worked in My case..Please Help

Thanks
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

Its a InstallScript MSI project....

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

If I remember correctly in IS12 the -uninst switch doesn't execute any script code, unfortunately it also does not support silent mode.

Try using the -removeonly switch instead, assuming that the setup has not removed this functionality from "OnMaintUIBefore" the setup should use the .iss file appropriately.

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

Thanks...I tried removeonly..But its not working...:( Nothing seems to work in this case...

Thanks
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

Hi.. Am I the only person who is facing this problem..??? Could anyone help me in this problem..I tried different response files also with different order of dialogs and dialogs type..But nothing worked..Is silent uninstallation possible in this case..???

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

So, you are trying to uninstall an application created with IS12, which appears to be an ISMSI setup, and you don't have access to the source code of the setup (i.e.) you just have the setup itself. Is this correct?

Did you try contacting the vendor of the original setup? They may know whether they included any support for silent uninstall in the setup. If not then their setup may not support silent uninstall.

FYI, in later versions the -uninst switch always executes script code so it is always customizable, and some previous versions included a -y switch to enable scriptless silent uninstall.

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

Thanks..I dont have access to the code...Could you tell me how can they support silent uninstallation in IS12..

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

There isn't necessarily a generic silent uninstall option for all InstallShield setups, it depends on how the setup author authored the setup.

I tested a default ISMSI setup created with IS12, it looks like when run from Add/Remove it displays the standard maintenance dialog, is this what happends when you run the setup in question?

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

Thanks for your reply..Setup doesn't show any maintenance dialog in Add/Remove program..2 dialog boxes come rather...

Thanks..
0 Kudos