cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SvetlanaT
Level 3

Silent Uninstall on MajorUpgrade.

Hi,

We have several earlier installations that have trouble unregistering some (ok, 19) of the program's dlls on uninstall when the program was not installed in the default location. This has been fixed in the current installation.

We are planning on releasing the next version as a "Major Upgrade" so the user doesn't have to go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the previous version. During the uninstallation of those old versions, the "Unable to unregister dll" window pops up and you have to click "ok" several (well, 19) times to continue on with the uninstallation/installation.

Is there anything to be done for those windows?? "OK" is the only option and the uninstallation is fine otherwise.. .I was hoping there was some way to run the uninstall silently so the user doesn't have to see (oh, the embarrassment) or click anything for the uninstallation part of the installation.

This is a Basic MSI Project in InstallShield Premier 2008.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using regsvr32.exe to register your dlls?

If so you can use:

regsvr32.exe /u /s My.dll

This will uninstall silently
0 Kudos
SvetlanaT
Level 3

Thanks!

I'm self-unregistering the dlls during the uninstall, it a custom action that comes with msi and uses isregsvr.dll. It doesn't look like I can pass it any command line arguments when I look at it within the execute sequence.

I was hoping there would be a way to run the whole uninstall silently, even though it wasn't originally created like that.

Help?
0 Kudos