cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angshuman
Level 3

Silent Install - How to check if its complete

Hello,
The silent install generates a seup.log file, but there is no way that I can check if the installation is complete. Is there any mechanism which I can implement to signal that Silent Install is done ?

I am using Install Shiled 2012. I want this feature for Automation and need to capture the completeness of the silent install.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

There is a definitive way of doing this, as long as the only consideration is a single running MSI package.

Read up on Mutexes for whatever automation language you're using. The _MsiExecute mutex is what is grabbed by the SYSTEM service msiexec.exe when it starts parsing the MSI's Execute sequence, and it is released when the Execute sequence is complete:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372909(v=vs.85).aspx

Note that there may still be open file handles on the *.msi file, particularly if the UI is partially or completely being displayed. But all system changes will have completed. Which, in that case, you can automate polling for open file handles; I think SysInternals may have some tools that make this less painful that you can automate.
0 Kudos
angshuman
Level 3

Hello Cary,
I am not using msi package. Its just Install Shield setup.exe internally calling .rul files. I am using setup.exe -r switch to record the installation in a .iss file and then executing the .iss via setup.exe -s -f1.
0 Kudos