cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flatron
Level 2

Show Chinese characters as question marks during installation on English WinXP

We upgraded our installation project from Installshield 12 to Installshield 2008 and we have a problem with showing Chinese characters in dialogs as question marks during installation on English WinXP. We have to change the setting under to Chinese in order to show Chinese properly during installation. But it is unreasonable to change that system setting, because Installshield script should not be treated as non Unicode program and that setting affects all the other programs.

I look at the help topic in Installshield and couldn't find any related settings in the Installshield script. Also I create a simple test Installshield script project with Installshield 2008 following the Installshield wizards and including Chinese lanugaue, I launch it on Enligsh WinXP and have the same problem not showing Chinese properly in dialogs.

Note that we installed Aisan language package and enabled Chinese code page on our PCs. Chinese characters on the dilaog buttons can be shown properly, however the Chinese strings we typed into the string table in Installshield 2008 can not be displayed.:confused:

Is it because Installshield doesn't include the corresponding code page for Chinese ? Do you have any ideas or solutions?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
ritulranjan
Level 5

Hi,

This appears to be a problem on InstallShield's dependence on 'System Locale'.

Even, on Vista (which is supposed to have all multi-language packs installed) the localized text appears as ?'s - until and unless we change the 'System Locale' from Control Panel -> Regional Settings to the language of installation.

Is this is a known IS limitation? IS Documentation mysteriously doesn't give a clue!

Any workarounds/suggestions?

regards,
RR.
0 Kudos