cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Affable
Level 2

Shortcut suspicions

The scenario below refers to an individual executable file that is updated. The name of the executable does not change, only the size and build time.

When creating a major update, if I delete the contents of the Program Assistant->Application Files->Add Files panel and then add an updated executable (using the Add File button) then two shortcuts to the same executable appear within the Program Assistant->Shortcuts panel.

If I just update the executable by overwriting it within the directory that the Program Assistant->Application Files->Add Files panel is statically linked to, then all is fine.

Now that I have discovered this quirk, I can work around it but the next guy to update the Program Assistant->Application Files->Add Files panel may not notice this until the test team discovers a bad shortcut.

What is the best practice here? I don't want to use dynamic linking due to the warnings in the help files and forums regarding it's use with executable files.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As long as the target file name and location aren't changing, leaving the shortcut alone and just replacing the file seems it would do the trick.
0 Kudos