cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

Shortcut icon not shown

Having used I2008E to build the installation for our software, the icon placed on the desktop does not show the icon included in the exe file. However, if manually sending a shortcut from the exe file to the desktop after the installation, the icon is ok. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

In the center pane of the Shortcuts/Folders view of your project, you should see a node for your .exe file's shortcut. Does the node show the icon that you want to be displayed?
0 Kudos
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

Debbie, yes, the icon is visible in the centre pane of the "Shortcuts/Folders". Does your question lead to a conclusion of why I2008E can show the icon internally, but not on the desktop shortcut??
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I'm sorry about the delay in responding. I had done a quick, simple test (as described in http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=181411), but I had not been able to reproduce the behavior that you described, without learning more about your project.

I think that there are a number of reasons why the icon might not be used. Can you log the installation and post the log file here? Looking at the log file should help to troubleshoot the issue.

KB article Q104807 explains how to log the installation.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

Hi Debbie, thank you for getting back to this issue. I tried to run the string on the command prompt, but unsuccessfully (it seems that the log file should be there in advance?). In the "LogFiles" folder I have the txt file as attached. Is that adequate?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

This looks like the build log that's created when you build a release in InstallShield. I'm hoping to see the log that's created when you run your installation on a clean machine.

What command line did you use? I'd expect it to look something like this:
Setup.exe /v"/l*v \"C:\My Log Files\test.log\""

—or—
msiexec /i "C:\my release\package.msi" /l*v "C:\My Log Files\test.log"
0 Kudos
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

Debbie, you are good! I think the attached is what you need. I just changed the extention from .log to .txt to allow it to be uploaded...
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

For starters, I noticed this in the log file:
MSI (s) (D4:AC) [15:55:04:774]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MsiSystemRebootPending property. Its value is '1'.

That means that a reboot is pending. Have you tried rebooting the system? If not, can you try that and see if after the reboot, the shortcut has the correct icon?

If that doesn't resolve the issue, can you try installing your product on a clean machine and checking to see if the correct icon is used for the shortcut? It looks like you ran your installation on a machine that already has your product, or some of your product's files. I'm wondering if this is somehow related to the icon issue.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

Hi Debbie, attached is the log file after having installed I2008E on a brand new pc, built the project and installed the product. Hoping to have done it as expected of me...
Thanks - Sven
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, sorry about that. I didn't mean that you needed to uninstall InstallShield and then reinstall it on a separate machine. I just meant that I was hoping that you could take your built installation and run it on a separate machine--one that doesn't have your InstallShield project, or any of your product's files.

In any case, this new log does have some information that helps to identify the issue. I think that the problem is that (a) The Add/Remove Programs setting in the General Information view is set to No and (b) the shortcut that you created in the Shortcuts/Folders view is an advertised shortcut.

If you select Yes for the Add/Remove Programs setting, I think that your shortcut would be created with the correct icon.

If you don't want to change that, can you create a standard shortcut (not an advertised shortcut)? If you do that, your shortcut should be created with the correct icon.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

Debbie, changing to Add/Remove=yes made the desktop icon appear! Not that I can see any logic in it, but that was the solution. I am extremely greatful for your help, and if your way passes Copenhagen, post an "I'm thirsty" thread!
Thanks again.:D
Sven
0 Kudos