cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjeslis
Level 5

Short Cut Key Not working

We have a Basic MSI Install that has a Logon Information dialog. The short uct key (Alt-P) on the Password label assigned to the Password Text Field doesn't seem to fire properly. It seems like the short cut takes the cursor back to the first text box on the dialog (i.e. User name) and not the second (i.e. the password field).

The short cut key (Alt-U) on the User name label/text field on the other seems to work as does Alt-N (Next) and Alt-B (Back) buttons on the same dialog.

Anyone experienced this or have a suggestion for further debugging?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
cbragg
Level 7

If memory serves me right, if jumping to a label it takes the focus of the control with the next tab index. Check that your tab index is correct,

e.g. label1 and textbox1, should have tab index of say 0 and 1 for a shortcut key in label1 to jump to textbox1
0 Kudos
sjeslis
Level 5

I believe, and failed to mention, that I did check tab order as that was my first thought as well :confused:
0 Kudos
cbragg
Level 7

and are your controls set for tab stop?
0 Kudos
sjeslis
Level 5

Yep. Perplexing isn't it?

Now there are 2 hidden button controls on the form along with a hidden label (previous developer used a standard logon dialog I believe and hide what he didn't want to use). The buttons are set for Tab Stop as well, the label is not.

I believe I tried deleting these somewhere along the way and that not helping but I might try that again.
0 Kudos
larrydalooza
Level 3

IS is fickle... when you change a tab index on one control the remainder of the controls may dynamically change. You could get two controls with the same tab index also... or you will get a gap in the index numbers. The label needs to be one tab index less than the text field and the tab stop must be true. Lastly, look for errant & in other text fields. Good luck ol' buddy.

Lar.
0 Kudos
lwhitney
Level 2

I know this is an old post, but I was experiencing the same problem and may have found a solution.

In 2010, in a Basic MSI project, every time I edited the TabIndex properties for the controls on the LogonInformation dialog, after building the project they were reset to the original values.

I had to go to the DirectEditor and edit the Control table. I set the Control_Next column for each control I wanted in the "circle" of the tab order, including the static text controls that had the accelerators for the User Name and Password edits. That seems to have done the trick.
0 Kudos