cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ITI_Randy
Level 6

Setup properties missing on large packages

Has anyone experienced problems with large compressed setup packages showing InstallShield properties rather than the correct package properties? I have a basic msi package which is about 500 mg in size that does this. For example, if my Product Name is "My Product Name" the setup Product Name will show "InstallShield", and if the Product Version is "1.0.0.1" the setup Product Version will show "14" (the InstallShield version).

I found an article on Google which stated:

If your compiled setup.exe file is more than several hundred megabytes in size, Windows Explorer may show a generic "Application" icon for the file in place of the usual Setup icon. In addition, when you view the Properties for the file, the Version tab may be missing. The problem actually lies in the APIs Explorer uses to extract icons and version info. They try to map entire files into memory; when there isn't a large enough contiguous block of address space available, they fail.

This article makes some sense, but it doesn't reflect the real issue that I am having. I do have enough contiguous memory on my test machine to show the properties, but instead, I get the InstallShield properties.

I have never had this issue in packages under 200 mg. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had issues with this and if anyone can tell me more about the problem and how I might deal with it?

It is an issue for our company because we use a customer-side installer helper program that uses these setup properties and has to be able to accurately read the product name and version from the setup.exe.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
another_1
Level 4

Hello,
We are facing the exact same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

Thank you,

Masha
0 Kudos
ITI_Randy
Level 6

The real issue is the limitations of the OS to load and read properties of extremely large files. Newer OS, such as Server 2008, do not have the issue. In our case, it happened on XP with release files pushing up over 400 MB in size. We wound up simply splitting up the installation into two packages so that it wasn't so large. The two packages, at only a couple hundred MB each, had no problems.

At the time we had this issue, I worked with one of the InstallShield developers who told me that he thought he could create a code solution to this, even though it is really a limitation of some OS and not InstallShield. I believe he did do so, but it didn't make it into InstallShield 2008. The update was supposed to be added to InstallShield 2009 and following. It is my understanding that in the newer versions of InstallShield it is no longer a problem, but I have not had a chance to test it.
0 Kudos
another_1
Level 4

Thank you, Randy.
We were not able to find any information on this subject except the article you have mentioned.
We ended up having a small launcher with the version info, and a big file that this launcher will start.
I am not sure this issue can be resolved by IS, we had tried other packaging solutions with the same result.
Would be nice to get Microsoft's acknowledgment of this issue.

Regards,
MY
0 Kudos