cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Install Only Registry option grayed out

I have an InstallShield MSI project where I create a registry entry that I would like to set as Install Only, however that option is grayed out. Is there any a way to prevent a registry entry from being removed during an ininstall?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

The Install Only (+) registry flag is always disabled for registry keys that have subkeys or values. (I don't think that Windows Installer supports this flag for registry keys with subkeys or values.)

Can you select Yes for the Permanent setting for the component that contains the registry entry? When a component is marked as permanent, none of its data (registry entries, files, shortcuts) are removed when the component's feature is uninstalled.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Thanks, I was not sure if the Permanent selection also applied to registry settings. I will give it a try
0 Kudos
sbh666
Level 2

1) Use the direct editor to edit the Registry Table.
2) Add a new row with the Root and Key value matching your registry key.
3) Set the Name to + (a plus sign).
4) Leave the Value field blank.
5) Set the Component to the same value used to establish the key.
6) Close the Table.

When you go back to the Registry View, the "Install Only (+)" option will still be grayed out, but it will be selected.
0 Kudos
briangochnauer
Level 2

You can also force 'install only' behavior by setting the Component property "Permanent" to Yes.
The component (registry entry),will not uninstall if the product is uninstalled.
0 Kudos
sbh666
Level 2

Yeah. I know. But I don't want the component to be permanent. I want the REGISTRY KEY to be permanant and the Component to be removable.
0 Kudos
Jim_McBride
Level 2

I would like to leave the register settings intact if they are present and not remove them on uninstall. I think this is the Install Only(+) option.

1) Use the direct editor to edit the Registry Table. (What is meant by direct editor? Are you talking about the Destination Computer's Registry View?)
2) Add a new row with the Root and Key value matching your registry key.(What do you mean by a new row?)
5) Set the Component to the same value used to establish the key.(Where is the component?)
6) Close the Table.

I have seen many references to setting the component property to "Permanent", but I have yet to find in the program interface where the component properties can be set. I have found where you can set a file to be permanent. I am sure I am missing something obvious, but it is not clear to me what everyone is talking about. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim
0 Kudos
skutnar
Level 4

Jim McBride wrote:
I would like to leave the register settings intact if they are present and not remove them on uninstall. I think this is the Install Only(+) option.

1) Use the direct editor to edit the Registry Table. (What is meant by direct editor? Are you talking about the Destination Computer's Registry View?)
2) Add a new row with the Root and Key value matching your registry key.(What do you mean by a new row?)
5) Set the Component to the same value used to establish the key.(Where is the component?)
6) Close the Table.

I have seen many references to setting the component property to "Permanent", but I have yet to find in the program interface where the component properties can be set. I have found where you can set a file to be permanent. I am sure I am missing something obvious, but it is not clear to me what everyone is talking about. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Assuming you're using a Basic MSI project, the "Direct Editor" is one of the views available under "Additional Tools". Here you will see all the MSI tables, with Registry being one of them. Read the "Direct Editor" help topic in the InstallShield help library for more information.
0 Kudos