cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Winks
Level 6

Setup.exe version number redux: why I want to set it

I notice that there have been a number of submissions over the years asking how to set the version of setup.exe. You can affect the file and product version that appear in the file properties (windows explorer) but the launcher code version is returned to programs that request the file version. For example, the Setup.exe file version for InstallShield 2010 is 16.0.0.435. The product that I am trying to deploy has a version 4.1.53. If you open the file properties and check the version tab, you will see "16.0.0.435" at the top of the dialog and then if you look at the file properties individually you will see 4..1.53 for file and product properties.

We recently started making our products available for download from the Internet. We immediately began receiving complaints from users of Norton Internet Security. Apparently Norton's Insight technology flagged our product as a threat because it was an unknown vendor and the product had a low reputation score (had not been downloaded enough). I filed a dispute with Symantec and they white-listed our product. However, when I looked at the product version that they recognized, it was the "16.0.0.435". So, it looks like they downloaded it from the web site and extracted the file version.

This is not what I want. I want them to white-list the product version, not the launcher version.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

This support was added in InstallShield 2011, so you may want to consider upgrading. For an overview, see the "Ability to Specify a Custom Icon and Custom Version Resource Properties for Setup.exe and Update.exe" description in the InstallShield 2011 release notes KB article.

For details about this feature, see Customizing File Properties for the Setup Launcher.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Richard_Winks
Level 6

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That is outstanding!

We have only recently upgraded to 2011 and I did not notice that the version number was changed. I had looked at the Setup.exe property page and it did not include anything that we had not had with 2010. I just never looked at the setup.exe output.

You've made my day.
Richard
0 Kudos