cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaheohe
Level 2

Setup.exe does not launch

Project Type: Basic MSI

I've created an installer with some InstallShield prerequisites. All the prereqs are installed and if they're not already they install as expected. However, after the last one is installed the Setup.exe never gets to the welcome dialog. I can launch the Setup.msi by itself and the installer runs just fine (without the additional prereq checks, of course). However, if I launch the Setup.exe I see if flash in the process list and stops a moment later. What could be going wrong here? This is built from InstallShield 2009 Premier.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
kaneohe
Level 6

I've removed all the InstallShield Prerequisites from this installer to test it out and there is no change. I get the feeling the bootstrapper is just not launching the setup.msi at all. I have never configured any MSI paramenters, either, so it's using defaults. Anyone have any idea why setup.exe would just stop and not launch the setup.msi?
0 Kudos
kaneohe
Level 6

I've tested my theory with a brand new project. After I add an InstallShield prerequisite, the setup.exe stops functioning. I've done an "MSI Debugger" but I get the feeling the MSI debugger by-passes the setup.exe and launches the setup.msi directly. Does no one have any ideas why setup.exe would not launch setup.msi in a brand new project with defaults for everything except the .NET 3.5 SP1 prerequisite?
0 Kudos

Did you ever figure this out?

I have a Basic MSI project that does not launch the msi.

I can launch the msi manually.

Thanks

0 Kudos