cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Setup.exe Question(s)

Hi all,

I have a question about creating an installation that uses the Setup.exe launcher. I will have an installation with prerequisites wrapped in the Setup.exe (.NET, VC++ runtime, etc). My question is there a command that can be fired to launch the setup.exe and have the prerequisites install silently if needed. Then when the .msi is unpacked, can I pass parameters to the setup.exe that will bounce to the .msi and have that install silently as well with the ability to possibly pass Properties also?

Hope that's clear enough.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not sure I fully follow your question. It sounds like you're asking if you can toggle (via command-line parameter) whether your prerequisites and main setup install silently; and secondly if you can pass properties to your main setup from the command line.

The answer to both of those questions are yes, provided that each prerequisite has a silent installation mode that can be invoked from the command-line. Just be sure to specify a command-line for when the setup is running in silent mode as part of your prerequisite. Then launch your setup with: /s /v"/qn OTHER=Property Values=Here"
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Yes, that is what I was asking and it sounds like I can accomplish what I want, provided third party pieces provide silent installation options to pass.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Can I compile my install to have a Setup.exe and an external .msi? If I select uncompressed in the release view I get all my files external to both the .msi and Setup.exe.

Is there a way to get a setup.exe with an .msi and that's it? I guess I need the compresed .msi and the setup.exe containing the prereqs that would call that compressed .msi.

??

Any help appreciated!
0 Kudos