cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howard_birkett
Level 3

Setup command line value

I am successfully using InstallShield LE in VS 2013 to perform a silent install in ‘SingleImage’ mode. However I wish to set a system environment variable with a value that is determined at (unattended) install time. I can define the environment variable, but I do not know how to pass in a value on the command line and have it set into the environment variable.
Is this possible in LE?
Is it possible in any version?
Is there any way of passing in commandline args (apart from PROPERTY= , but I can't see how to use that)?

Thanks HB
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

You should be able to pass in a property to the MSI as normal and in the Value field put in the name of the property with square brackets around it
i.e. [MYPROP]
0 Kudos
howard_birkett
Level 3

kyi wrote:
You should be able to pass in a property to the MSI as normal and in the Value field put in the name of the property with square brackets around it
i.e. [MYPROP]

Is this feature available in LE? There is no reference to the 'Property Manager' in the LE Doc, so I cannot see how to create a property - and doc that I can find refers to 'Behavior and Logic' in the View List. Well ... my View list does not seem to have any mention of 'Behavior and Logic'. As a complete newbie to InstallShield, am I missing something really obvious?
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

If you click on the Value field in the Environment Variable, there should be a brief description on using properties in that field.
When you pass in a public property when running the MSi, the property will get created even if you do not have the property manager view.
0 Kudos
howard_birkett
Level 3

kyi wrote:
If you click on the Value field in the Environment Variable, there should be a brief description on using properties in that field.
When you pass in a public property when running the MSi, the property will get created even if you do not have the property manager view.

Thanks for the answer - In the end I had figured that out - I had just assumed I had to create an entry into an internal database, as that's what all the doc seemed to be saying.
0 Kudos