cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esiemiat
Level 9

Setup Best Practices

I have an InstallScript project and had a question about where files should get installed to.

Is it a good idea to install your own XML and DLL files to the WINSYS folder? Will this be a problem in Vista?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

In general, I believe publisher-specific files should be installed to a publisher-specific location; for example, from the Windows XP logo guidelines (I don't immediately see a quote in the Vista guidelines):
Shared components that are private to a single software vendor must be installed in one of two places. Do not store these files in the System directory.

%CommonProgramFiles%\

-or-

%ProgramFiles%\\Shared Files
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Thank you, that is what I suspected. However, the developers I am working with are claiming that a self-registering file they creted will only work in the system folder. This does not make any sense to me.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

That is strange; perhaps see if the Reg-free COM Wizard can help, or create a .local file, or some other isolation technique?
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

Hello,

When installing system files like XML, I like to use merge modules for that. As you may be aware, if you go into the "Application Data\Objects" in the Install Shield IDE, you will see a collection of installable objects and merge modules available. You can go to the Macrovision web site and download more if you need to. These modules do all the necessary registration for you. So there isn't any guess work. A lot of these modules come from Microsoft. So they are already geared to be integrated into the OS without any problems. I should also mention that you can use merge modules in an Install Shield Script project as well as an MSI project. I hope this helps.
0 Kudos