cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XianHan
Level 2

Installscript vs. MSI

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if I should use Installscript or MSI for my installer.

In the help manual, one of the reasons to use MSI is given as "customized by corporate system administrators prior to deployment". I'm not sure what this mean. Does it mean that administrator can modify the msi file after it is compiled? Can anyone clarify this?

I have also tried using Installscript MSI and there are certain options that are not available in Installscript. For example, the Installation Interview is not available in the Project Assistant of Installscript MSI although it is using Installscript engine also. Is there anyway modify the dialogs without using script?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
HennoKeers
Level 7

XianHan wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to figure out if I should use Installscript or MSI for my installer.

In the help manual, one of the reasons to use MSI is given as "customized by corporate system administrators prior to deployment". I'm not sure what this mean. Does it mean that administrator can modify the msi file after it is compiled? Can anyone clarify this?

I have also tried using Installscript MSI and there are certain options that are not available in Installscript. For example, the Installation Interview is not available in the Project Assistant of Installscript MSI although it is using Installscript engine also. Is there anyway modify the dialogs without using script?

Thanks.

An MSI is a database, so yes, it can be modified by someone who has the tools & the knowledge.
Yes, you can create your own dialogs.

If you look at directions of installers, then MSI is the way to go.
Since it is a database with components you and your clients have good overview of the installer will do on their PC's.

gr, Henno
0 Kudos
XianHan
Level 2

Thanks.

I think i have it figured out now.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

Hello Everyone,

This is an age old argument. What it boils down to is this, use what you are comfortable with. I have used both MSI, MSI with Install Script, and Install Shield Script Only projects. I have been using install shield for the past 10 years. From my experience, I favor Install Shield script projects over MSI for the following reasons.

1) Writing Patches and Upgrades in IS Script projects is a lot easier than MSI. For the projects that I have to write, I have to do a lot of customization of SQL scripts. I can better control the dialogs that come up and the data that goes in them. All in all, the patches and upgrades are more flexible than MSI. If you create a patch in MSI using their patch tool, you don't get this flexibility. It is too rigid for my taste. If your installation is very simple like laying down only a couple of DLLs and an executable, then yes, MSI will work just fine.

2) Creating user defined dialogs is pretty simple in IS projects. I have created over 10 dialogs in one of my installations and I can port them over to others as needed.

3) I'm able to use COM objects in IS Script to an extreme advantage. I'm able to get product versions, install add-ons into excel, and use ADO objects to get data from the SQL Server database before I create my database. With ADO Objects, I can check the DB Engine Version and Service Pack of the database and make sure it is up to date before I lay down my database. I like to do this to avoid potential problems and make sure that our customer is running with the latest version. I'm also able to put our product version into a table into the SQL server database. Do I don't have to go to the registry to get that information. This is a good thing for web applications since it is a good practice that they are not suppose to access the registry. It is a security risk.

4) The other thing that I don't like is that someone else could modify our installation after it leaves our office. That can also mean that they could add unauthorized files. That is something I do not like.

In conclusion, I choose Install Shield Script Projects over MSI projects for the flexibility and I have more options to play with.
0 Kudos