- Revenera Community
- InstallShield Forum
- Set component destination to a varible and location of files
- Mark Topic as New
- Mark Topic as Read
- Float this Topic for Current User
- Printer Friendly Page
Set component destination to a varible and location of files
I have Basic MSI project with InstallShield 2018 SP1.
Beside files installed under INSTALLDIR several files are installed on dynamic folder according to user selection, the component destination is set to a variable being set during run time in InstallScript.
When creating the setup since the setup files are not compressed a folder with the variable name is being created with the files in it, the problem is I have several components like this so I get many folders which I want to avoid.
Is there a way to put all these special files under a single folder ?
Hi @eladef ,
If i get your question correctly,you are trying to set specific component's INSTALLDIR to variable via Installscript.
- Can you tell us how are you setting it?
- If you are setting explicitly for component's INSTALLDIR,it will behave with separate folders only
- Hope you aren't changing INSTALLDIR's value here.Is that correct?
I have set component destination to a InstallDirRoot folder which the directory identifier is set to INSTALLDIRROOT, in the installscript I set it using MsiSetProperty then when I create the setup I see the InstalldirRoot folder with the file in it.
Is it the right way to do that ?
Now since I have several similar components when creating the setup it contains several folders like InstalldirRoot.
Hi @eladef ,
- You can set like this if you want to set INSTALLDIR dynamically.But it shouldn't vary for all components meaning each component creates new directory type.
- You can set single directory identifier where all components can go and sit which might be based on your product requirement.
- By doing which you can avoid multiple directories been created